1. Working with individuals from different cultures requires that the counselor:
a. have sensitivity to the needs of the individuals
b. make a referral to another counselor
c. have knowledge about the different cultures
d. Both A and C.
2. A high standard of counseling practice when working with diverse populations involves all of the following EXCEPT:
a. treating all clients the same way
b. acknowledging and confronting their own biases and prejudices
c. adapting one’s knowledge and skills to meet the clients’ needs
d. educating oneself as completely as possible regarding the clients’ cultural context
3. When working with individuals from different cultures, the effective counselor may not:
a. use language similar to the client’s
b. maintain good eye contact at all times
c. be cognizant of the context
d. honor religious beliefs
4. Murray is a bright student, but he procrastinates. He puts off writing term papers and gets incompletes, which eventually become Fs. Murray’s therapist helps him establish small, specific goals rather than vague, long-range goals. The therapist also asks Murray to keep a diary of how he is spending his time when he is avoiding his studies. The method used to help Murray deal with his problem is __________ therapy.
5. The social-learning perspective is to the psychodynamic perspective as __________ are to _____________.
a. bodily events; social and cultural forces
b. social and cultural forces; bodily events
c. environmental conditions; unconscious dynamics
d. unconscious dynamics; environmental conditions
6. The process of saying freely whatever comes to mind in connection with dreams, memories, fantasies, or conflicts, in the course of a psychodynamic therapy session, is referred to as __________.
a. systematic desensitization
c. free association
d. exposure treatment
7. Which of the following is not a behavioral therapy?
b. Skills training
d. Unconditional positive regard
8. The primary goal of __________ therapy is to find meaning in life.
d. transactional analysis
9. Which of the following pairings of problem and the most successful therapy for that problem is INCORRECT?
a. Childhood behavior problems and existential therapy
b. Specific phobias and systematic desensitization
c. Depression and rational-emotive therapy
d. Panic disorder and behavior therapy
10. The bond of confidence and mutual understanding established between therapist and client is called the _______.
a. therapeutic window
b. therapeutic alliance
c. clubhouse model
d. window of opportunity